About the Program
JVS is thrilled to offer an exclusive and no-cost 5-month Medical Assistant Certificate program. In collaboration with community partners, this program will help you master a diverse range of clinical procedures through a combination of training and hands-on experience. As part of the program, you will have the opportunity to put their learning into practice during a paid clinical internship. Upon completion of the program, you will have the skills and certification to work in clinics, medical offices, and other outpatient facilities.
- This program runs from January 16 through May 23 with mandatory orientations on January 9 and 10
- This is a 5 month training program, which consists of 10+ weeks of clinical lecture and lab training and 5+ weeks of full-time paid internship.
- This is a hybrid model program with online and in-person components.
- You will earn your BLS and Medical Assistant Certificates.
- Must be a resident of the San Francisco Bay Area
- Must be 18 years of age or older and interested in securing meaningful employment with opportunities for economic growth
- Must be able to provide a U.S. high school diploma, GED, or equivalency with translation
- Should have a valid authorization to work in the United States, such as U.S. citizenship, permanent residency, or an employment authorization card.
- Must be available and present for the entire duration of the program
- Must provide proof updated immunization records, including the Covid-19 vaccination
- Cannot have completed another medical assistant program
- Prior to applying, please review JVS’s full program eligibility requirements and FAQ
What You’ll Learn
- Important medical terminology, and fundamentals of anatomy and physiology
- Performing a variety of clinical procedures including assisting with minor surgery, performing electrocardiograms, infection control, administering medications, performing vitals, and maintaining equipment in an ambulatory care setting.
- Customer service best practices such as patient-provider communication and handling electronic medical records
- Key legal and ethics practices including HIPPA rules, Patient’s Bill of Rights, and incident reports
- Navigating common emergency situations in the healthcare setting
- Best practices in job searching, interview preparation, and crafting a high impact resume
As of 2022, the average wage range for Medical Assistants in CA is $19 – $25 per hour, with a 2021-2031 job growth projection of 22%.
Some possible career pathways for this occupation include:
- Health Technologist
- Surgical Assistant
- Health Education Specialist
- Medical Records Specialist
- Licensed Practical and Licensed Vocational Nurse
JVS was with me every step of the way. JVS gave me everything I needed. I got certified as a medical assistant~ David, Certified Medical Assistant
Take the Next Step
We are not currently accepting applications to this program. Sign-up for our newsletter below to be alerted when the application opens.